Monday, April 30, 2012

The beginning and before


Two things that happened made me want to write about our experiences of the past couple days.  The first was the look of relief on Kate's and David's face when I told them Asher would survive.  I don't want anyone thinking things are worse or better than they really are.  Focusing on the positive is really important to us right now, but I also feel the need to be honest and relay accurate information.

The second was recounting the labor, delivery, and what came after with our nurse, Erin.  She reminded me of so many things that happened - funny, scary and everything in between - that I otherwise might have forgotten.  This is the most important thing that's ever happened to us, and I want to remember it.  So, I'm writing down details for our own benefit, though they might help others understand.

Marissa's contractions started around 3am Friday morning, mild enough that she was able to go back to bed.  In the morning, I went to work, and she went to see her midwife.  She had tolerable contractions throughout the day, including in the check-out line at Wal-Mart, freaking out the cashier.  Right as I got home from work around 3:30, her contractions got more serious, and by 6pm we were at the hospital.  By midnight she was fully dialated, and things were moving along well.  But, we still had a long night ahead of us.  

Asher was trying to exit face up, which is not the easiest way for his mom to get him out.  This and a little piece of cervix that wouldn't let go of him kept Marissa in labor through the night.  I've never seen such a feat of physical and emotional endurance.  Over and over and over again, she pushed.  Progress was slow, sometimes seemingly nonexistent.  By about 6am, she had been pushing for 6 or 7 hours, and the midwife, Meg, uttered the word "c-section".  The nurse tells me I exploded out of my daze, knowing how hard Marissa had prepared to avoid this.

Something in Marissa must have exploded, too.  After all those hours and a level of exhaustion I can't begin to comprehend, she grabbed her legs, reached into her soul, and pushed.  Those next two pushes took her from the edge of surgery to the brink of success.  When it became clear Asher would be born naturally and soon, Meg began to prepare. Considering the amount of time spent pushing, she called a respiratory team from the NICU, just in case.

Asher Solomon White was born at 6:47am on April 28th, 2012.  He weighed in at 7lbs 13oz.  With Meg's help, I pulled him into the world and onto his mother's stomach.  

Nearly as quickly as he was placed there, it seemed he was taken away.  Following Asher out of his mother was a good bit of meconium (baby poop) which seemed to be the first concern.  But in seconds another concern quickly trumped that.  Asher didn't start breathing on his own.  The three person respiratory team instantly grew into an army of people in scrubs with serious looks on their faces.  

The team began breathing for him, and I got ready to go with him up to NICU.  Marissa couldn't go, but she was able to hold him for a few seconds.  Upstairs, I sat and watched with a combination of physical and emotional sensations that I hope I never go through again.  Soon after we arrived, the doctor told me that his pupils were not responding to stimulus.  He looked at me and said, "This is serious."

Hours moved by in a blur that I can't really remember.  Slowly, Asher began using his lungs himself.  The hospital called Brad, and he came and sat with me.  At some point I was able to check in with Marissa downstairs, and we talked.  She came back upstairs with me to give her baby a good hello.  

One of the first treatments Asher received was a cooling pad to keep his temperature at about 91 degrees.  Cooling the body can help reduce swelling in the brain.  It also slows down the body's metabolism, which means fewer bodily resources are needed, making it easier for the injuries to Asher's brain to heal.

A couple of hours after birth, seizure activity began.  He was treated with sedatives, and the seizures stopped.  As his first day went on, the sedatives wore off, and the seizures stayed away at first.  Slowly, though, some smaller seizures came back.   It's hard to tell when he has them now, since they can look as simple as a mouth quiver.  

Theories that will likely never be proven began to form about what happened.  What we do know is that, for some period of time before birth, Asher was deprived of oxygen.  This resulted in damage to his brain that caused his inability to breathe at birth.  We don't and probably won't have a good explanation of how that might have happened.  One idea is that he had a stroke during the pregnancy.  

Whatever the event was, the doctor's best guess is that it happened in the hours or days before birth.  Despite all the stress of the labor, monitoring throughout showed no problems with his heart rate, which suggests the event did not happen then.  All his check ups prior had shown a healthy baby.  But we just don't know.

As Saturday progressed, there were some improvements.  At first, most of his movements were seizure related.  He also hadn't been responding to touch, raising concern that those sensations weren't reaching his brain.  But soon he began moving on his own, and telling the doctor by his movement that he could feel his touch.  Best of all, by late afternoon, he was breathing well enough on his own that he was able to be taken off the ventilator, taking his first unaided breaths.  

Our first visit with the doctor on his birthday gave us most of this information.  It also gave us an idea of his possible outcomes.  Like everything else, the possibilities are vague and broad, mostly scary but with reasons to hope.  At worst, Asher may be severely mentally and physically disabled.  He may not be able to eat on his own, might never walk or talk.  The fact that he began responding to touch makes this extreme less likely.

At the same time, it's possible that there will be no effects from this.  Again, though, there is lots of evidence to suggest this opposite extreme is unlikely.  Our visit with the doctor on Sunday, which so generously lasted and hour and a half, left us feeling that the answer lies in the middle.  It's a question that won't be answered over days or months, but years.

Asher's case is extreme.  Our midwife, who's birthed thousands of babies, has had this happen one other time.  The neonatologist said they see cases like this 6 to 12 times per year in their 700 bed hospital.  We have so many friends who are expecting right now.  I hope when you read this, you understand that the chances of this happening to anyone are very, very slim.  That would also include us in the future, says the doctor, if and when we are able to grow our family again.  

On Sunday, Marissa and I were able to do some small things to care for him.  He began to dirty his diapers, and we were able to change him.  I don't remember the last time I changed a diaper, which would have made this challenging enough, but the wires and tubes created an extra obstacle.  

We were also able to gently re-position him on his cooling mat.  The mat isn't the most comfortable looking thing, especially for a newborn, so he needs a slight re-adjustment every hour.  These small things were important to us, since we aren't able to hold him or even touch him too much, since the stimulation stresses him.  He'll be slowly warmed off his cooling mat on Tuesday, and depending on how he responds, we might be able to hold him then.  We're both so looking forward to this.  One of the hardest things, especially for Marissa, has been that he doesn't entirely feel like he's ours yet.  We haven't had the kind of bonding time a family needs, just sitting and touching each other, gazing, or breast feeding.  It will be a special moment when this happens.

Physically, Marissa is recovering well.  She's no more sore than one would expect of any new mother.  Emotionally, I'm noticing differences between us.  She was so exhausted at the time that things didn't entirely sink in.  I remember coming downstairs for the first time from NICU and looking at her sitting there.  She seemed ok, just happy that he was alive.  I'd been so worried about her, it was strange to see.  I worry that this will change.  She said just a few minutes ago, on Monday morning, that the better she gets, the harder it gets.  But she has been so strong, and I know that she will continue to be.  My sister said that she has to believe that God gave us Asher because of who we are as people.  Marissa is proving that true.  As a clinician, it should matter when I say that Marissa is the most mentally sound person I've ever met.  Her emotional capacities seem superhuman, though I hope she knows they don't have to be.

For me, day one was harder than day two.  As I start day three, I hope this will continue.  I felt, and still feel, like I'm living someone else's life.  Slowly, I'm able to imagine what our family might be like without crying.  I'm learning that some of the stuff I teach my clients is really true.  Thinking about the future can be very toxic.  I feel the best when I focus on the present, on what's in front of me, on the small successes and signs of hope, and on what a beautiful boy he is.  Since I can't stroke him or touch him too much, I've been smelling him a lot.  He smells creamy and rich.  It's a thick, fresh smell.  His skin is so soft.  He likes to hold his hands up by his head, under his chin, and sometimes he puts his hand to his mouth like he wants to suck.  He's perfect, just the way he was meant to be.

32 comments:

  1. Zach, I cried reading this, probably since my crisis of Joel beng a preemie and leaving him at the hospital for two weeks...u may think now u will never get through this but I assure u, u will I've been praying for u since Saturday and I will continue to pray, you will be wonderful parents, if u need anything please let me know

    love u

    Jamie

    love u so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. It is written so beautifully Zach. You and marissa are so strong. We are praying for Asher and you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asher is beautiful and you two parents are beautiful. He knows you are there and love him deeply. Hospitals suck but there is no one he would rather be there with than the two of you :) Keep writing and we will keep reading, praying and sending lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zach, I also just cried after reading this. I can't imagine what this feels like and not being able to hold him. That must be heartbreaking. You and Marissa are so strong. Even writing this must have taken a lot of mental and emotional reflection. Thank you for letting us know but I understand how writing this is also a log for you and a kind of emotional release. You guys have been in my thoughts daily since I heard. Stay strong and love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your sister is right. I have had that thought so many times. I can't think of more special, better equipped parents to care for a child with ANY special circumstances. You are amazing folks! We keep sending love and strength your way. xxooxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zach tell rissy Amanda aka "Barnesville" is thinking of her and baby asher and you as well. Orayers lifted for you all. You are right she is one of the stongest people I know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing, Zach. I have been thinking about the 3 of you very often. Please let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing and please know, rissy has a band of sisters out here that will help with anything you may need. Just let us know what we can do to help.

    We all know what a strong person she is and what a blessing you have been in her life, she's really going to need you to lean on, even if she doesn't think so. No doubt you'll be her rock. Asher and your family are in our thoughts - we wish him the best. And- despite the tubes, he *IS* one good looking baby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zach, I am deeply touched to read about your baby boy and Rissa. I can hardly imagine what these past few days have been for all of you. You give new meaning to the word Strenth, my friend. Please know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Your sister couldnt have put it better; God gave you both and angel because of the people you both are! Please let me know if there is anything Dawn and I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for you and your family.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zach,

    My thoughts and prayers are with your wife, your child, and you in this difficult time. Your detailed account of the event shed new light for me on the miracle of life.

    May this entire experience strengthen your relationship with your wife and the love, you both have, for this wonderful gift of Asher.


    Sending positive vibes,

    Eric Dubitsky

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zach, thank you for taking the time to update everyone. The two of you are so strong, and I am sure that emotions are at once elated and terrifed. You are so right that he is perfect and exactly what he was meant to be. I know it must be hard not to be able to hold and comfort and bond with him...it will be so special when you finally get there. You and Marissa and baby Asher will be in my thoughts and my prayers, as you have been deep in my heart this week. I have thought so much of you guys. With you and Marissa, Asher has what he needs to succeed in this life. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not used to using blogspot, it was an old account...I should have signed this! -Kristie Krejci

      Delete
  14. Zach, reading this has shed so much light on what an amazing person you are as well as affirming my belief on how amazing MK is too. Thank you for sharing this experience with all of us I just love MK and will continue to pray for all 3 of you and yes you are right....he gives his most precious to those that are strong!!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Zach, I don't know if you and Marissa remember me, I worked at Eliada with you. My husband and I will be praying for you all. Our first child was in the NICU for five weeks, and we know the heartache of not being able to experience so many of the typical first bonding moments... but we also know the joy of finding other first moments.... You two and little Asher are in our prayers and i know God has him in His hands. If you need anything or if Marissa needs anything... sometimes even the freedom to say anything to someone who you will probably never see again helps... I'm on facebook....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect beyond words. We love you all and admire your strength. Sending thoughts and prayers to you all and hugging our families extra tight tonight. xoxoxo

    Gina and Manny

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Zach,

    I met Marissa 10 years ago in Muskingum College. I was a french TA.

    I followed the pregnancy time through facebook and talked to Marissa a few days ago.

    This little boy is absolutly beautiful and I really mean it. I send you all my love to you two and little Asher. Give Marissa all my best. Keep hoping, I will.

    Elodie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely beautiful... Like the others, I cried as I read it the first time and then again a second. Asher is a little miracle already, made just right for you and Riss. If there's anything that Will and I can do from a distance, please let us know. And we can't wait to meet Asher someday!

    Lisa & Will

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zach and Marissa,

    What a beautiful little boy! Asher is very lucky to be born to such wonderful people. You are both such strong people and parents. Asher is a strong name for a strong little one who will fight through. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Love,

    Julie and Pete McQuaid

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are awesome parents and will an awsome family. Praying God's abundant grace and peace for you. Congrats on beautiful little Asher.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh this is one beautiful little boy!!!! Thank you for sharing such personal and loving thoughts with us. All 3 of you are in my prayers. If you need me I am as close as a text. You have the number. Love Rena'

    ReplyDelete
  22. Zach and Marissa, the three of you haven't left my mind since kate called on saturday morning. thank you for writing to all of us, i agree with your sister completely- Asher chose you as his parents and i know your love and strength creates a perfect family. keeping your new family close in love and positive light. much love to you all, betsie

    ReplyDelete
  23. You, my dearest friends, are in my prayers and thoughts every second of the day. We can't help to cry with joy and concern in our at the same time. Whatever that feeling is in between, that is where we are and we love all three of you with all of our hearts. Remember, just a moment away and we are there.
    Love Kate and David

    ReplyDelete
  24. As difficult as that was for me to read, I cannot even begin to imagine what you both have been through in the last three days. My thoughts and prayers are with you in this trying time. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and some positive posts in the days to come.


    Andrew Powers

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was the most endearing, authentic display of love I have witnessed. Thank you for sharing your story and for allowing us to send our love and energy to your family, especially to Asher. We will continue to read the updates and send our love to Asher, as well as you both, Marissa and Zach.

    Love,
    Kristin Losey Williams (and family)

    ReplyDelete
  26. zach, my heart aches for you, i cant even begin to imagine what youre going through... stay strong, ill definitely be praying for you. i love you and hope to meet little asher someday. hes perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Zach -
    My husband Mark is a friend of your dad's. Having spent time with your family and hearing about them over the years, I know in my heart that the love you all possess will be your strength. Watching your videos has been the most important thing I have done today. The love you and Marissa show for Asher is beautiful beyond belief. My prayers are with you. Liz McDougle

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your sister is right....as I told Marissa while you were in the NICU that first time, she is one of the strongest women I have cared for in my 11 year career. Never have I seen such a powerful example of labor giving birth to not only a child but a mother! The love and strength both of you have displayed is seldom seen and you remain in my thoughts and prayers, as does Asher.

    Erin Parish RN

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your sister is right....as I told Marissa while you were in the NICU that first time, she is one of the strongest women I have cared for in my 11 year career. Never have I seen such a powerful example of labor giving birth to not only a child but a mother! The love and strength both of you have displayed is seldom seen and you remain in my thoughts and prayers, as does Asher.

    Erin Parish RN

    ReplyDelete
  30. Marissa is one of the brightest lights my daughter Grace and I have ever met..she has such a loving spirit and my daughter especially will never forget how much Marissa took the time to love and listen to her---we are praying and picturing God as He walks beside you guys! Love you!

    ReplyDelete