Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Baby steps

A little more progress today.  As I mentioned before, Asher opened both eyes for the first time, and his eyes continue to show increased responsiveness to light.  Considering this was the first major concern about his neurological function, I really like hearing this.

The doctors will do an MRI later this week to examine his brain.  One thing they'll look for is evidence of a stroke.  Dr. Thingvoll doesn't believe this happened, so we might be scratching off one explanation that I can actually understand.  He also said they'd be looking at his "brain structure", which sounds like it has the potential to hold good or bad news.  One thing we're trying to keep in mind is the resiliency of a baby's brain.  While an adult can take a blow to the head and never be the same, baby's brains have a greater ability to heal.

We met with met with another nice doctor from a palliative care team.  To most people, palliative care means "end of life", but not in this case.  They're trying to approach this as a team, and are going to organize a family meeting with doctors, social workers, and even the rabbi who was going to do Asher's bris.  That doctor, who formerly worked on an ICU, is concerned about the ongoing seizures and is going to talk with the neonatologists about more aggressive treatments.  I'm grateful we have some competing opinions going, and that they're being openly discussed with us.

We sat and talked about what we understand about Asher's situation, and then talked about our hopes for him.  It was a difficult conversation for us both, but an important one.  Marissa talked about wanting as normal a life as possible for him, playing and getting in trouble.  I didn't say much.  At first, I wasn't sure what I was allowed to hope for.  As I thought, I decided my hope is something I would have taken for granted just days ago.  I want a relationship with him.  I want him to understand I love him.  If I can get that, I know I can be happy.

Marissa was discharged tonight, and we're home now.  It feels like we're starting a new phase of this journey, one that might involve wanting to be at the hospital more than we can be.  They offer some twin beds in the NICU for people to sleep in, but it's not a Holiday Inn, let alone home.

Marissa's parents are here with us, thankfully.  Being the generous people they are, they spent the day deep cleaning our home.  We walked in and were greeted by a kitchen we barely recognized.  Like us, her parents are dealing with this in their own way - keeping busy.  Now that we're home, the ways Marissa and I cope will have to change.  I just hope those changes are effective.

12 comments:

  1. Zach you are a beautiful writer. I've always known this, but man baby, you nail it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and appreciate your openness and honesty. You guys make an awesome team. Praying for good MRI results this week. I truly believe Asher feels your love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not much I can say beyond the fact that Mindy and I are thinking of you guys and we are hoping for the best. And thank you for the updates. They are beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE hearing positives, makes me so happy!!! and Rissy is right u are an awesome writer.... BTW I heard Rissy told u the haircut story, yeah I had no clue why the haircut was so bad until today =D glad I could supply a laugh

    Luv u guys

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear about the positives as well! Know that Stephanie and I are keeping you and your family in our thoughts!!!
    Angela Myers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baby steps for you two as well as Asher. We are blessed to live in an area which has some pretty awesome resources for parents. So happy to hear about the team approach involving not only the medical folks but those who are there for your social, mental and spiritual health, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zach, Riss and Asher- I can't read any of these posts without crying. They are so open, raw and touching. I am grateful that you guys are sharing your whole experience, the good, the bad, the ugly. The way you two are working through this is truly beautiful. Your family is an inspiration. Asher is so lucky to have all of your strength, knowledge, passion and spirit in him. Keep going strong, but know that if you're feeling a little less than heroic, you always have an ear, a shoulder, an open door here, whatever you need. I love you two with all my heart and I can't wait to meet Asher!

    Katie Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zack, you are an elloquent storyteller. I am so glad to hear of the improvements. Please remind Mr. Asher that his special "Aunty Meg" thinks and prays for him often. Marissa and Zack, take care of yourselves and each other. You are all special to me. Meg

    ReplyDelete
  9. You write with such emotion and absolute love for your son and your wife. I admire your ability to express yourself in words. I am not sure I could. Lots of people are lifting your son and his parents up in prayer. I hope you can feel them. Love Rena'

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Zach, Rissy, Asher, and your families,
    I'm so glad to hear that Asher's improving. . . my thoughts and prayers are with you all -- both now and in the days ahead.

    Love,
    Laura Smith

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know you all but have read your story here. I am praying and sending every healthy, healing vibe to Asher and you guys. One thing seems very clear from my perspective: that boy already knows you both love him. He knows.

    ReplyDelete