Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Power or bliss

Asher was surrounded by a group of very happy nurses when I walked into the NICU this morning.  They informed me I just missed a very exciting 15 minutes.  Two of the women were from the unit's feeding team, and had been testing his ability to suck and swallow.  Not only had they gotten Asher to give a good suck on a finger, but, more importantly, they could hear swallowing both through a stethoscope and with Asher simply laying there in front of them.  When I told them he'd already taken some milk from a bottle, they advised we slow that down, not wanting to make the experience unpleasant for him or risk getting milk in his lungs.

His nurse today worked with him on his second and fourth days on the unit.  She hasn't seen him since then, and seemed pretty amazed at his progress in that time.  I loved listening to her talk about him.  Professionally and personally, she seemed so hopeful for him and so invested in his care.  The look of excitement on her face was one I've seen more and more from the nurses in recent days.  It tells me the progress I'm seeing in Asher isn't just the product of my parental pride.  Others are seeing the same thing.  It's real.

He continued taking small steps in other areas today outside the sucking and swallowing.  He's a little more able to hold his hands up by his face like babies do.  He's tracking things with his eyes and looking when someone says his name (he already knows his name!).  He pooped mustard.

Marissa called me in the afternoon when I'd gone back to work.  Our case manager was asking her about scheduling another team meeting like the one we had last week.  About half way through this conversation, I became aware of how much the idea of this meeting scared me.  The last one, when I was told Asher would likely be "moderately to severely disabled", was the hardest thing I've done in the past week.

Since that point, I've seen nothing but progress, been given nothing but hope.  It's no wonder I found myself saying I didn't see the point in such a meeting.  Part of me would rather live only with the hope of what's in front of me rather than understanding the facts of our situation.  Knowledge is power, but ignorance is bliss.

We're meeting Friday morning.


10 comments:

  1. Good luck guys. I hope this meeting offers more optimism than the last, and it certainly sounds hopeful at this time. -Kristie Krejci

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs* we're always thinking about you. Asher looks so comfortable in that picture! What a cutie =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's wearing REAL clothes now! Although we're sad he'll be too big to fit into his awesome ODB onesie, we will just make a t-shit out of it for the little dude when he's home with us. I am just so happy to not watch him shiver on that cooling blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks real good in this pic. I like what I'm seeing and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Asher's journey with us...Holding you all tenderly in my heart and prayers! xoxo, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture! Keep that hope going- still praying lots and lots and sending love nonstop!! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the real clothes! Was the first thing I noticed about the picture! And, of course, loved the update.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) Wish we could make bigger grins via keyboards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! He does look so sweet and cozy. And we'll be thinking about you on Friday morning - as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for mustard poop!! My favorite :) The nurses all love Asher of course! Wearing real clothes= time for cute hand me downs!

    ReplyDelete