Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

Marissa hasn't gotten what she really wanted for Mother's Day - relief from her mastitis and thrush.  Nerves have worn thin between us in the last couple days, due in large part to the frustration this is causing.  The impatience to get him home is also building, and Marissa's problems are only slowing this down.  He looks so normal now, it makes me feel like a horse at the end of a ride.  I can see the barn, and I want to run for it.

I'm not the only one who thinks he looks like a changed baby.  His new neonatologist stopped by to echo that view, saying the early reports and what he sees now seem pleasantly incongruent.  Another EEG would be done next week, he said, once Asher's phenobarbital level gets below 10.

The one thing we're still hoping for is crying. Yes, crying.  Find me the parent of another two-week old who wants that.  Today's neonatologist, the nurses, and Asher's grandparents all seem to be less worried about this than me.  He's making other noises, so it's not as if he doesn't have a voice.  We know he feels pain, as in the circumcision, by the look on his face.  He could just be a mellow like we're told his mom was as a baby, or like our dog Jhana, who Riss pointed out barks about twice a year.

If he were going to cry, it seems his circumcision yesterday would have been the best opportunity he's had.  Instead, his mom did all the crying.  Perhaps to help her through, the doctor, who's also Jewish, began humming a song I've heard in synagogues before.  As he hummed and worked, Marissa joined in.  The comfort and the connection between two near-strangers provided by their faith made the event feel like more than a simple medical procedure.

*****

Though Marissa didn't get what she wanted for Mother's Day, my mom got the only thing she hoped for.


She's the last of the grandparents to meet him, which I think was quietly killing her.  However, she's also the first person outside his parents and the nurses to hold him.  It seems like she's been waiting to be a grandma since I made her a mom back in 1982. As a child, I remember her being very protective over my reproductive parts. Her fear of having no grandchildren was apparent every time I got unspeakable poison ivy or was hit in the groin with a soccer ball.  That fear must have felt like it was nearly realized the day Asher was born.  She admitted she was nervous to meet him, not knowing entirely what to expect when she saw him.  By the time she left, I think she felt very happy and as hopeful as Asher's parents are.


4 comments:

  1. Zach, you are truly blessed to have such wonderful parents. Asher will know the unending love from his grandparents. LOVE the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach, Marissa, and Asher,

    Hi! I am a friend of a friend. I've been reading your story silently and cheering Asher on along the way. I was so excited to see your last post with no oxygen - woohoo! - and increased bottle feedings. I know it must feel like you're climbing mountains every day, only to find even more mountains at the top. It is quite a journey the three of you are on!!

    My heart aches for Marissa and the trouble she is having with the mastitis. I had both of my sons at Mission - and I know that they have a great lactation team. If it hadn't been for them, I never would have survived the first week of nursing our first son. He did not get to latch to me for almost a week. I know this pales in comparison to what you are going through - but I want you to know that there are people in your corner and support from all around. One LC in particular I can remember - Theresa I think was her name. She has red hair and is sweet as pie. She was a life-changer for me. I'm not sure if Marissa is getting outside help with other than the OB, but I would highly recommend her!! Afterall, they are on the NICU floor if I remember correctly! I will never forget being so frustrated and thinking I was a failure... getting on the elevator with my newborn and all of my pump parts, half defeated, half triumphant after a consultation. A mom got on the elevator with us, with her pump parts in hand... and it clicked. She had to leave her baby at the hospital and I was bringing mine home. I cried so hard to my husband about this when we got to our car.

    Anyway, I really am rambling... I just really want Marissa to know there is support out there... and also, please please know that you are the perfect mom for Asher. You are the one that was chosen for him - to carry him, nurture him, birth him and love him. The two of you were chosen for a reason to be his parents... and every choice you make for him is enough. You are mom enough. You are dad enough. Does that make sense? I hope so. I just hope she is not beating herself up about the chance of nursing issues delaying him coming home... and the mastitis in general. I never would have had her strength to pump around the clock (and for a few days, not weeks...) without a crying baby guilting me into it!!! She is amazing. You both are amazing.

    Just felt I needed to share. And, I'm sorry she didn't have the Mother's Day she hoped for. I think I want to start calling it Mothering Day... and in my book, she aced it! She is mothering so, so well!!! Go Team Asher!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The PHS Chapter of Team Asher is turning cartwheels(or at least if we could we would....it is the thought:)) He is getting so much love he can help but get better faster.

    ReplyDelete