Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Homecoming

Time has moved at a glacial pace since Asher was born.  Days have been weeks in this world, and our time in transition was no exception.  After only 24 hours, it felt as if we were never going home.  The spot on our room's whiteboard for "Possible discharge date" remained blank.

On Saturday, one of our favorite nurses who knows us well, came to our room and gently kicked us out.  She reasoned that Asher was ready to go home, has been ready for days, and only needed to hear that his parents were ready.

I felt very ready, but Marissa was understandably nervous at the thought of having him home by ourselves.  We'd become accustomed to the safety of the hospital, knowing that if anything went wrong, he would be taken care of.  Chances are slim that anything like that would happen, but they were slim the day he was born, too.

Still, as our nurse put it, it was finally time for us to go start our family.  In transition, we got in the rhythm of feeding, pumping, changing and sleeping.  We worked on breastfeeding, which was difficult and still needs a lot of work, but we made some small steps in the right direction.  Before we left, we watched a few NICU videos on topics like baby CPR, which didn't help Marissa's anxiety on Sunday.  I thought she might hyperventilate as we loaded him into his car seat, but we all made it into the driveway in one piece.

Coming home seems to have brought Asher out of his shell.  Maybe in NICU he was just shy, but no longer.


At least he feels comfortable telling us how he really feels.  I think he also feels more comfortable in his own clothes.

"Baby, I got your money"

The last day has felt oddly normal.  Asher cries when he's hungry, messy, or gassy.  He makes cute little noises and faces.  I change diapers, I clean, I warm bottles, and I do it all over again like so many other parents.  Life has been so abnormal for the past four weeks that now, with things the way they should be, I feel a little out of place.  Being calm and stationary have become foreign to me.

At the beginning, I remember feeling like I was living someone else's bad dream of a life.  The first days were an out-of-body experience.  Slowly, I came back into my body, and began to live that dream.  It became lucid.  Yesterday, when we pulled in the driveway after four weeks, I woke up, though once again not to the life I remember.  It's been a strange start to parenthood, one that at times has left me feeling robbed of the experience.  At least now, it feels like we've truly started.


8 comments:

  1. Glad you all are home and that Asher has something to say bout that! Beautiful feeding picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! Asher is a wonderful gift to two lucky parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome home, indeed! i've been reading your story these last few weeks: crying on my keyboard, laughing, cheering, and hoping! thank you for sharing your story with us. much love to you three - amanda (katy's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooooOOOOooOOOOOOoOOOhHHHHhhhhHHOOOOOOoooooo!!!!!!! Yes! Yes! YES! yes! yeaaaahhh!!!!
    WwwoooooOOoooOOOOooooOOohhhHHHHHooooOOOOOOOoooo!!!! Yaaaabbbaaaa daaabbbbaaa doooooooo!!!!! WoooHHHOoooooooo! Yes! (Now repeat louder. It feels good. <3 Annabeth)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well,,what can I say,. You two have done a wonderful job. Asher is and does what he does because of you two and all you do for him. You listened and always did what was best for Asher and not just yourselves. You were truly selfless in every way though that whole experience which is very rare to find.I am so proud and honored that you allowed me to help guide you and Asher through his very rough start in life. It is people like you and babys like Asher that keep my doing what I do,,,so Thank you


    Tiffanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big welcome home to you three!! It's been a couple of days now, so I hope you're settling in ok. Prayers and well wishes still coming your way... Take care!

    Sarah Tatz Bouaida

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home :) Will and I have learned quickly that parenthood turns your whole world upside-down...and the 3 of you know that more than anyone from your journey with Asher so far. I hope that being home brings comfort and that every day gets a little easier as you figure each other out. And we hope the canine siblings are loving their new little brother :)
    Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete