Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Face

We are the proud parents of one hungry boy.  Yesterday, Asher took 95ml from a bottle from Marissa during the day.  Today, he got as high up to 120.  The feeding team monitored him with a stethoscope and said he sounded great.  Things were going so well that the feeding tube was removed, and he is eating completely on his own.  When I arrived yesterday, he was sleeping, and I saw him for the first time without obstruction from tubes, tape, or wires attached.  Just his beautiful face.


Religion is mostly foreign to me.  After my grandpa died when I was about nine, I stopped going to church.  My dad describes himself as a recovering Catholic, and to this day I can't tell you much about my mom's beliefs beyond the fact that she believes in God.   The idea of God as portrayed in most religious texts has never been one that computes in my mind.

Yet I know what I feel.   A couple of years ago, I was waiting out a heavy downpour in a shelter on the Appalachian Trail, talking to a group of backpackers and trying to keep my dogs from making trouble.  Once the rain dispersed, I left the shelter and hiked to steep section of trail called the Jump Up.  My favorite time to be in the mountains is right after a hard rain, as the humidity clears and collects into fingerling clouds that nestle into the crevices of the land.   Such was the scene as I arrived at the Jump Up that day.


That had been the last time I saw God. A power far greater than me surrounded and enveloped my being on that mountain. Parts of myself that I'd never met before came to the surface. The Earth was giving me a big ole bear hug, and I could have spent the rest of that day in its embrace. I felt whole.

Then, last week, my son looked into my eyes, and it happened all over again.


Contained in that face is the power of something far great than me.  It surrounds me and fills in the gaps.  Like a campfire, I could stare into it for hours, not fully understanding why, watching as it flickers and dances.  Maybe it's love, but it feels like God.

*****

The wires came completely off today, along with diaper and clothes for Asher's first bathing by his dad.  I couldn't resist a picture.


Poor kid got his dad's gut. 

The good news of the day was that Asher can certainly cry.  Unfortunately, discovering this came at the expense of an unsuccessful first attempt at breastfeeding.  I wasn't there, but according to Riss, he wanted to latch on but couldn't quite do it, hence his frustration.  Given that his initial attempt at bottle feeding was also tough, I don't think this should be too surprising.  He may just need practice.  Riss took it hard though. Between the illness, hormones, and desire to get him home, she's been strapped into an emotional roller coaster lately.

Hopefully, starting transition will help her.  We're now on the waiting list, and we've been told that from there it should only be a day or two until we're home.  I hope when transition starts, being together all day for the first time will really help her feel like Asher is hers.  Motherhood came with a beginning that was unfair to her.  Pretty soon, I think we'll get to make up for some of that lost time.

8 comments:

  1. Heck yeah! Hang in there and I can't wait to hear that ya'll have the OK to take Asher home! Constantly thinking about you three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE these pics! So exciting he will be home soon. Wow Zach what a fantastic post. I also feel closest to G-d in nature and in the eyes of my children, and of course with my angel baby Kaia. Asher is making astounding progress. Breast feeding can be so hard, praying it works out. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zach,
    This entry sent chills down my spine. Beautifully written. Beautiful face. I will never forget the day my little one was finally free from the tubes and needles of the NICU. It truly was like the clouds parting after a storm. This blog is like an irresistable novel, where each entry is a chapter I'm just waiting to be written. I can't read them fast enough. Asher's story is remarkable. Each day brings tiny bits of progress that feel like divine miracles. He will breastfeed, I just know it. Breastfeeding is an intimate dance between mother and baby that must be worked at, even for those babies lucky enough to be born healthy. Hopefully Riss can find a good space to make progress. Take full advantage of the lactation consultants in the hospital and remember: each consultant is different. Find the one that y'all feel good with and they will prove their worth!
    You're so close to home!!!!
    LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the pictures! he looks so good without the wires, i can only imagine how it feels to see him like that! so happy to hear Asher will get to enjoy his home soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks so good man. It will all come together in time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written as usual, Zach!! I'm so glad that Asher will be going home soon, too! And Marissa, I'm sorry that you've had to endure so much at one time. As for the breastfeeding issue, I know how badly you want to do this for Asher---and for all the right reasons. But if you're unable to go through with it, please know that you will still be able to bond with Asher and ensure him the healthiest possible future. I did not breastfeed, and Austin is sick no more or less than my friends' and colleagues' kids who were breastfed. Whether you breastfeed, pump and bottle feed, or formula feed, Asher will be just fine. You will be an amazing mother, no matter what. ;) And that beautiful boy will love and adore both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Asher you handsome fellow! You are already a heartbreaker and as you grow you will be a lady killer. I know your mom and dad are looking forward to having you at home. You are going to love being there. There are many,many people waiting to meet you. You are one lucky little boy!!! So glad you found your crying voice you were probably making all the other babies mad because you were being quiet. I told your dad it would come and that he might wish it would go. I have my fingers crossed and just like everyday I am praying for you to get to go home soon. By the way thanks for reminding me (and many other people) that God is still in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thrilled to hear the update. Like one of the other readers, I await every post as its an intriguing story wonderfully written. Breastfeeding is tough but certainly find a lactation consultant who meets your family's needs. We pray every night for your family.

    ReplyDelete